Six Rogers athletes receive awards as school come to an end

The Tacoma Athletic Commission honors Pierce County’s finest.

Photo by David Johnston

The award winners (from left to right): Divinity Singleton, Drew Nasinec, Raygun Klippert, Isaac Briggs, Brooke Ford, and Austin Egan.

As the 2023 spring season and school comes to an end, the awards and ceremonies start.

The Tacoma Athletic Commission presented six Rogers athletes with awards at their annual banquet for their sports achievements this year, led by Austin Egan, who won accepted the Clint Names Multi-Sport athlete of the year award and also the tennis player of the year for Pierce County.

Five other students won awards: Divinity Singleton (girls basketball), Drew Nasinic (boys track), Raygun Klippert (girls fastpitch), Isaac Briggs (boys track), and Brooke Ford (girls golf).

When a student receives an award, they feel proud of what they’ve accomplished and how far they’ve come. All the games won and lost, all the hours they’ve spent practicing, debating if they’ve wanted to quit or even if they’re playing the right sport — it all pays off in that moment.

Egan said, “it felt great to receive this award.”

In addition, Ford – a four-year varsity girl’s golf player – got nominated for female golf student of the year.

Ford said, “this nomination meant a lot to me considering it’s an honor to represent your school in something that you’re passionate about.”

Coaches feel proud and take pride in seeing their athletes do well and grow in their sports, and David Johnston (girls golf) and Kenneth Zentz (track and cross country) attended the award ceremony in celebration of their athletes.

Coaches nominate athletes from their sport and then the TAC decides out of those people and “look at the resume of the athlete,” Johnston said.

Johnston, who also is the former boys wrestling coach, says these awards give “promotion to our sports and athletes at out high school,” also saying, “the athletes are deserving of being able to be recognized.”

The Tacoma Athletic Commission is a nonprofit organization that recognizes athletes all over Pierce County. More than 140 student athletes attended the sports banquet and athlete of the year awards. TAC has been honoring students for the past 68 years.