Students at Rogers unlock opportunities at Reach Higher College and Career Fair

Nearly 50 representatives from colleges and the work force showed up to connect with students.

Photo by Jessie Shelly

Students at Rogers High School chatting with college representatives.

Students at Rogers connected with college and career representatives to learn about opportunities and career pathways for their post-high school plans at the Reach Higher College and Career Fair on April 26.

Representatives from colleges, universities, companies, apprenticeships, the work force, and military talked with students to help them decide what is an excellent choice for them when they are fresh out of high school. Around 50 reps signed up to attend the event with 45 showing up, with only two having to cancel.

The event was held in the courtyard and was hosted by Colleen Pancake of the AVID department. While planning the college fair there were some concerns raised, according to Pancake.

“I was extremely worried about the weather, but it turned out to be a beautiful day,” said Pancake.

There was a barbecue during both lunches with hot dogs, chips, and water available to purchase. Pancake was ecstatic to learn that a few hundred dollars were raised, which will significantly contribute to spring events and activities that bring new opportunities to students at Rogers, such as Decision Day and others.

“I liked how the fair showcased many pathways for students who aren’t planning on attending a four-year university, but for the people who are, I feel like there wasn’t a a wide selection of college programs to check out,” junior Sovannah Kong said.

This year’s college fair was a success, with little going wrong and great weather, the only hopes for next year’s event is that more representatives could show up, including more people to help with financial aid. Students were able to explore the different stands set up, receive all sorts of goodies like lanyards and stickers, and eat hot dogs while enjoying the weather.