Rogers High School brings back detention

Tardies and skipping has led administration to devise plans on ways of discipline.

This is the room where detentions are held after school.

Photo by Claudia Sarin

The room where detentions are held.

After an increase of tardiness and people skipping, the number of detentions that were passed out during second semester skyrocketed.

Detention has been the form of discipline used in the school system for many years and is considered normal repercussion for misbehavior.

Detention is held in the library after school on Wednesdays. Depending on how many detentions you’ve had, detention can last any where from thirty minutes to an hour.

Currently, detention has been put on hold due to Danny Wolfe, the person in charge of detentions, moving to another school.

Every week there are 40-100 people in detention due to mainly tardiness and people who have been caught skipping 4th period.

To receive a detention, you must have three or more tardies.

Nalisha Carter, the administrator who oversees the process regarding attendance, emphasizes the importance of accountability and the discipline necessary to encourage it.

“Detention is a minor consequence compared to being late to work every day, you could possibly be fired,” Carter said.

Students agree it’s a minor consequence, but believe it is too minor of a consequence.

Before, if you got issued more than three detentions it would lead to a suspension. Now, if you get issued detentions continuously, a parent conference is considered.

“I don’t think there is a way to improve it or make it better,” Connie Richardson, the head security guard, said. “I don’t think it is supposed to be a fun thing, it’s not meant to be a punishment either. It is just … I believe if you get one detention then why want to get another? Just be on time to class.”

After talking to a couple students who have had two or more detentions, they all said the same thing: It was inconvenient and a waste of time. Instead of using the period to work, like intended, it was used as a time to use their phones or talk to their friends.

“I feel like detention is a waste of time, it doesn’t really solve the issue,” Piper Mattson said. “Yeah you get punished but it’s not really that bad of a punishment. They let you talk they let you eat. Like it’s like you’re just chillin in there pretty much. It doesn’t really make me want to stop being late.”

When asked if they have improved since the last time they had gotten detention, they all agreed the same thing: it did not change.

“It’s necessary but also unnecessary,” Jahnaia Shoecraft said. “To be honest I don’t mind going to detention because we aren’t doing anything.”