Next steps for seniors at RHS

Cap and gown pickup, virtual Decision Day to provide a sense of connection.

Students headed to Washington State University line up at Decision Day 2019.

Rogers High School staff is still trying to do as much as they can to celebrate the class of 2020, so on April 21 there will be a drive-thru event at the high school to supply seniors with their graduation materials, such as caps and gowns. 

Schools have been closed in Puyallup since March 13 in response to the coronavirus epidemic, and it was announced on April 6 that schools would remained closed through the rest of the year.

There will be four different time frames depending on the first letter of last names for pick-up: A-G will be 10 a.m.-11:15 a.m., H-M 11:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m., N-S 12:30 p.m.-1:45 p.m., and T-Z 1:45 p.m.-3 p.m. Some Rogers staff are planning to attend in order to be there to support and wave to their students.

Furthermore, RHS faculty is still making Decision Day happen. By seniors simply sending AVID teacher Colleen Pancake ([email protected]) a photo of them with their college gear, their acceptance letter, and name, they’ll be included in the Decision Day video that will be created to honor them and their post-high school plans later this spring. 

“I think they are trying their best with what they have,” senior Madison Skoog said. “Of course it’s not what seniors want, but with the orders in place by the government I feel they are giving us everything they possibly can. I feel as though we are being heard and that they are working hard to make sure they create all those last senior moments to the best of their ability.” 

Overall, it’s difficult for the class of 2020 to accept the loss of their senior spring — and all the events that came with it. Though it is amazing to know our high school has such an amazing faculty that cares about their students!