Rogers through the decades

How has the school changed?

Rogers High School is a beloved school that is currently attended by roughly 1,800 students and staff. Today, our school has a great lunch split, great staff, music, and art programs, and especially our athletics programs. If one were to think back, they might wonder, “How was it to attend here all those years ago?” This school has been around nearly 60 years, and the differences show.

Danielle Robinson, a 1998 graduate of RHS, said, “It sucks to hear you can’t leave campus. Teachers in my day would encourage students to leave and take the time they are granted.” Students today are not allowed to leave campus during lunch because of a school district policy.

Another graduate from 1998 is Michelle Rose. She was here for our Decision Day and said, “Walking in the gymnasium was a wild sight. Everything was still the same – the ceiling paint, same Ram on the wall, bleachers still the same color. The only difference was the walk in from the outside. The Commons building was never there – that was an empty spot between the gym and the main building. It was bigger, the whole left wing was different.”

Of course, today, the Commons is attached to the gym and the front of the school, nice and built, meant for holding a number of students. Good place to eat lunch, relax before school/after school, and a great perk, it has the best ventilation in the school.

The sports here at Rogers is a touchy subject. On the Rogers website in the history of Athletics they say, “Rogers routinely finishes as one of the top 4A athletic and activity programs in the state.” By the statistics on the website, we have reached state countless times in each sport, with tops being fastpitch softball and tennis.

Lainey Shaw played fastpitch all throughout her time in the school, going to state all three years — 1996-1998.

“Playing in high school was my prime time in sports,” she said. “I loved my coach, I loved my teammates, and I loved and miss that school.”

Our sports programs now is an interesting topic, to say the least. Fastpitch had visited or won state every year from 1987 to 1991. Then it jumps from there to 1997 following to 2006 and then 2017. Our football team now hasn’t gone to state since 2007, struggling to succeed.