Choir trips hold great value for students

Students who are a part of the choir program/class receive amazing opportunities on their trips.

Photo by Unknown

The choir students radiate the joy of performing the art of music.

When you arrive at high school you might expect that there would be no more field trips in your life. Well, that would be a big misconception if you join choir.

The choir program is known for taking a variety of field trips throughout the year. These trips allow the students to get to know and bond with their classmates better, as well as help expand their singing abilities.

“We learn a lot from going on trips. Regardless of what the kind of trip it is, we will always work with an expert choral conductor,” choir director Justin Wisness said. “Recently, Choraliers went on a field trip to UW and we were able to work with two conductors, both doctors in choral conducting. We also got feedback from two other doctors of music.

“If it’s an overnight trip, we look for opportunities to exchange with other choirs and hear them sing. That is always a wonderful learning experience.”

The students travel to and preform at a variety of fun an educational places.

“We go to perform at universities, other high schools for music exchanges. Many students participate in solo and ensemble and when some go to state, they also make a trip out of wherever it takes place that year,” said Victoria E. Hunter, at choir student at Rogers. “And for our choir tour after our exchanges, we will be attending the Mariners game as a whole choir.”

Wisness adds, “Every trip looks a little different. … I try to make sure that trips are centered around music and performing as a choir. We look for opportunities to bond more as a choir as this makes these experiences in high school enriching and meaningful for our students.

“The last big trip we took was pre-Covid to Washington DC. That included a lot of tours of historically significant places. We also sang at the National Cathedral and the National Basilica. We exchanged with the US Army Chorus and the Singing Sergeants… NYC trips included watching multiple Broadway Musicals, workshops with Broadway actors, performances at a variety of venues, tours of historically significant places, going to the top of the Empire State Building, etc.”

Along with trips, the choir program also participate in competitions.

Solo and Ensemble Contest are held regionally (this year it was held at Emerald Ridge). Ensemble groups are usually up to 16 students. They compete against Puyallup, Sumner, and Federal Way Schools. Competing against these schools is how some qualify for state, which then allows them to compete against winners from 21 other regions around the state.

“You prepare one piece (no pop or things like that) and you study it alone or with your group and master the dynamics, the text, the feeling. Then on the day of, you perform it for a judge (or judges) and a room full of other singers, supporting friends, and parents. Then at the end of the day they release the scores. ‘One’ being the best and ‘three’ needing improvement. Those with highest scores from each district move on to state,” Hunter said.

Ensemble winners receive trophies, and Solo winners receive medals.

The choir students learn a lot on their trips as well as in their competitions.

Hunter explains: “On our exchanges and invitationals, we listen to other choirs. Choirs older and younger, more, and less mature, better, and worse. Every choir we listen to excels in their own way. It reflects the directors where some focus on rhythm and cutoffs, some will focus on space and vowels, they focus on engagement, on telling a story, on dynamics, and like ours, focus on feeling our music and we move, we aren’t boring to watch. By watching these other choirs, we realize we have so much more to learn, and we also see what we’re doing well in that other groups don’t. It is a trip of self-reflection and betterment we get to participate in.”

The choir is one of the best programs  to be a part of, as it is a safe and friendly space for students of every background.