Vaping: A Fad or Health Risk?

Story by Alex Groom, Content Editor

In recent years, vaping has become a popular trend and topic for discussion. These e-cigs use batteries, cotton, and liquid to create smoke – resulting in a feeling that simulates cigarette use. While using different ingredients from conventional tobacco products.

“I’ve seen a bunch of new smoke shops dedicated to just vaping everywhere lately, being a trend and dying out is the last thing vaping is,” senior Nolan Townsend said. If vaping is growing rather than going away, who exactly are the people that decided to join in?

One of the fastest growing demographics are users 18 and under. According to the FDA, more than 3 million middle and high school students were reported as E-cigarettes users in 2015. Up from an estimated 2.46 million in 2014.

In a study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), from 2011–15, there was a significant increase in current use of E-cigarettes among middle and high school students. E-cigarettes were also the most popular tobacco product among middle and high school during in 2015. Current use of conventional tobacco products, such as cigarettes and cigars have decreased significantly. The CDC also noted that 10 states, including Washington, D.C., allow sales of e-cigarettes to minors.

Another demographic of users are adults, more than 9 million Americans estimated in 2015. These are users who have used tobacco products before, or are addicted to conventional tobacco products. According to the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), patterns suggest that e-cigarette prevalence is doubling annually, and that the vast majority of E-cigarette users are smokers. 20 to 35 percent of current smokers have tried E-cigarettes, with the number increasing.

According to the US Department of Health, 24 percent of users started vaping because of less health risks. The truth is, theres a major lack of medical research on vaping and E-cigarettes in general. The liquid used does not contain as many harmful or addictive chemicals as cigarettes. Most liquids on average use 3 to 4 ingredients, typically being a mix of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavoring, with nicotine being optional.

A study published in the journal Tobacco Control revealed that high exposure to certain chemicals in vapor flavorings cause respiratory irritation. Cigarettes use up to 600 ingredients, and more than 7000 chemicals when burned.

Although the health risks are still unclear, vaping is growing in popularity. Youths and adults are gravitating more towards unconventional tobacco products. Rather than being a fad, it’s becoming a new way for people to smoke. Some use it as a stepping stone to cut out use of nicotine all together. Only time will tell if it’ll grow within the next few years, or if medical research will find definitive effects.