Is Fast Food Taking a Toll on Your Health?

Story by Kaley Gorelick, Reporter

pexels-photo-139681According to Google, 2007 Centers for Disease Control study found fewer than one in 10 teens consumes the minimum recommended amount of fruits and vegetables a day; a 2004 Harvard study determined 3 in 10 teens eat four to six meals a week at fast-food restaurants.

Did you know that 1 out of 3 American children eat fast food every day? Well it’s true. According to SFGATE, whether it comes from a restaurant, convenience store, vending machine or kitchen cupboard, Carol Simontacchi, certified clinical nutritionist and author of “The Crazy Makers,” says the prevalence of fast food in America has significantly degraded teens’ eating habits.

Now, fast food isn’t necessarily bad, but in many cases it’s highly processed and contains large amounts of carbohydrates, added sugar, unhealthy fats, and salt.

An anonymous source said, “My favorite place to eat is Pho Hoa because it has the best tasting Pho.”

“I like Taco Bells tacos. I like Taco Bell because I like cholesterol,” said sophomore Mahila Mesa.

The most common fast food people love is, burgers – Once considered a quintessential meal for Americans has today become a party of daily food habit for people globally. That’s because they are ready to eat, easy to get and can be eaten while working.

Here are their top reasons for eating fast-food meals, according to the percentages of people who agreed with each statement: 92.3 percent say they go because it is quick. 80.1 percent say because it is easier to get there. 63.6 percent say they are inexpensive.

However, fast food is very bad for you and contains many calories. Eating junk food regularly is linked to obesity and chronic health conditions such as high blood pressure, but many people still choose junk food over their healthy, nutritious food counterparts.

Fast food is far from healthy and a known contributor to the obesity epidemic.

According to the Matador Network, some fast food’s chicken nuggets contain a chemical preservative called tertiary butylhydroquinone, which is derived from a petroleum.

Yep, the stuff you put into your car. That’s not all either. Some chicken products are mechanically separated, which means those scraps that would normally go to waste are ending up in your nuggets.

Did you know that they found that younger people, singles and males ate more fast food than older people, married couples and women?

Interestingly, people who thought fast food was unhealthy ate as much of it as those who didn’t think this.