The knots tying the Yarnworkers Club together

Students gather to work on knitting, crocheting, and building connections with each other.

Photo by DJ Singleton

Members of yarnworkers club chat while watching a movie of their choice.

The club was not silent nor loud as the members of the club chatted amongst themselves. Sitting in a science room, using the tables to set their tools down to work, the students worked the metal needles back and forth and in and out, clicking together to transform the yarn into something beautiful.

The students have quiet conversations about what they are working on as the teacher turns on a movie for them to watch. The room has a relaxing feel to it as they work and watch, not being noisy to others.

The Yarnworkers Club at RHS is all about knitting and crocheting. The members use their time to work on projects like flowers and planning out what to do next.

A member working on their own self project made of yarn
Student working with a ball of yarn to produce something of yarn. (Photo by DJ Singleton)

Kasey Hebert, a science teacher and adviser of the club, watches over students and puts on movies from time to time, such as Lilo and Stitch. Hebert also does some knitting and gets involved with the club as well.

“It forces me to knit at least once a week, so it’s nice … and it’s nice to meet new people,” Hebert said.

The club president, Kirsten Kieron, puts together ideas for fundraisers for the club. She also leads and managed the club since the beginning.

“It started around this time last year, maybe like around February,” Kieron said.

The recent Buy A Flower fundraiser was the second fundraiser the club has done, selling flowers made of yarn for Mother’s Day while also putting the money into the family renewal shelter.

“The Mother’s Day fundraiser was super successful. We sold out on day two, like completely sold out after only two days of selling,” Kieron said.

The Yarnworkers Club also welcomes new members. They have community tools and yarn so everyone can participate in the club.

People are also allowed to take home their work to see how much they learned in the hour.

Student working with yarn
Member of the club listening to music as they work on their next project. (Photo DJ Singleton)

“We ask for donations, so staff members, if they have extra, they donate to us … and we also do have some front funds from ASB,” Herbert said.

The learning process is something everyone goes through in different ways as each member has experienced a different way of learning to crochet or knit.

“I kind of find it difficult because I’m so used to the same motions that taking like a moment to slow down and like try to explain it, it sometimes doesn’t come across what I’m trying to say,” Emma Kesler said.

Kesler also believes that more members would allow for the whole experience to grow as others learn and the group all can relate to something, even if they are learning it.

“I think more members would be fun. Like to just expand it all and then we can do like bigger things as a group,” Kesler said.

New members will learn differently from the experienced members, teaching and showing how to go about the process. They will also help new members fix mistakes and encourage them in their progress no matter how slow.

The club runs every Tuesday, 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. in Hebert’s room, C-161. It is open to anyone no matter what the experience and there is material for everyone to use.